The following are general recommendations for this procedure. Please refer first to any information given at your consultation as the following instructions may have been modified for your individual situation. If you have any questions, please call our office.
SINUS LIFT PROCEDURE (LATERAL WINDOW APPROACH):
Prior to Lateral Window Sinus Lift Procedure:
- 2 weeks prior to the procedure – Begin a nasal steroid such as Flonase (aka fluticasone). Take 1 puff in each nostril daily.
- On the morning of the procedure, take 2 puffs of Afrin (aka oxymetazoline) nasal spray in each nostril.
- Begin your antibiotics as prescribed by your surgeon. As antibiotic dosages vary, please verify with the office if it is not clear on your prescription or if it has not been discussed at your preoperative appointment.
- Take your normal medications at the usual times with a sip of water unless otherwise instructed.
After Sinus Lift Procedure
- Take any prescriptions (antibiotics, anti-inflammatories, etc.) as directed.
- Continue Flonase (aka fluticasone). Take 1 puff in each nostril daily for 2 weeks.
- Continue Afrin (aka Oxymetazolen) nasal spray for 3 days after the procedure, then discontinue.
- You may use a saline nasal spray twice daily as needed
- If you continue to have nasal congestion that does not respond to saline spray, you may use a decongestant such as Sudafed or Mucinex-D (* if you have high blood pressure, please discuss with your doctor prior to using).
- Avoid blowing your nose for two weeks. It is not uncommon to have slight bleeding from the nose for several days.
- Try to avoid sneezing, but if you feel the need to sneeze, do so with your mouth open to reduce pressure on your nose/sinuses.
- Do not use a straw for 2 weeks.
- Do not smoke.
- Eat soft foods for several days. Chew on the opposite side as much as possible.
- You may rinse very gently with salt water, but no vigorous rinsing.
Please call our office with any questions.